Epicurean Angler-Matthew Supinski's Selectivity/Nexus Blog- Everything Trout/Steelhead/Salmon

Epicurean Angler-Matthew Supinski's Selectivity/Nexus Blog- Everything Trout/Steelhead/Salmon

Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Surfing Salmonids!-rivers are flooded, time to hit the beaches!

 (Salmo salar-born and raised in the Great Lakes.On a pelagic bait fish streamer)
With our rivers blown out and flooding ( highest level at this time of year recorded!). might be time to look for Coho, Kings, Browns , Steels and Atlantic's along the Great Lakes and large inland glacial lakes- surf. style!)
I started experimenting with Great Lakes surf fly casting for salmoinds back in the late 90's. I've written three major articles in magazines and my Steelhead Dreams/Selectivity/ Nexus books covered the topic. I have scanned and included one of the most comprehensions ones from back in 2008- no good sitting on the shelve gathering dust. Its a good place to start for all the lake/surf systems.You can open it and read on your pads/IPhones by enlarging or on your laptop with magnifying glass/macro zoom at the top of the page.
( This Capt. Ian Devlin 3-D Pelagic pattern ( imitates Alewives, Cisco, Rainbow Smelt )I use is the most deadly and realistic pattern I have ever used. It swims and looks so translucently amazing! Its materials/and full dressed streamer for mail order is available by contacting Capt. Ian in Connecticut- captain_ian@yahoo.com He is a cohort with the famous streamer /salt water/big brown guru:Mark Sedotti who I discuss in Chapter 9 of my Nexus book as a pioneer of the big fly/big brown gig.)
One skinny note: Look for pier heads/ river estuaries and tiny creeks that come into the cold lakes. They bring in warmer water in the spring and attract bait on a slight chop. Early mornings are the times to be there. No creek is too small to attract bait and salmonids.
Enjoy!


Final Note: I am very busy launching my online magazine which I think you are going to enjoy- stay tuned!
MS